Geotechnical Engineer Intern
Rockridge Geotechnical, Inc. has an opening in the summer of 2024 for a full-time, entry-level Staff Engineer Intern. Rockridge Geotechnical is a geotechnical engineering consulting firm established in the San Francisco Bay Area in 2007. Our services include a range of geotechnical engineering services such as site investigation and subsurface characterization, foundation engineering, geologic and seismic hazard mitigation, and construction observation and testing. As our mission states, our goal is to empower our team to provide practical, economical, and creative solutions.
Interns will work closely with our experienced engineers and field representatives on various projects throughout their time at Rockridge Geotechnical. Interns will accompany engineers to site visits, help engineers with calculations and assessments, and experience various challenges and solutions in the geotechnical engineering industry. These tasks allow interns to apply their coursework to real-life situations while managing a full-time job. Applicants must be able to live full-time in the Bay Area for the duration of their internship.
Our ideal Geotechnical Engineering Intern candidate will have the following:
- In the process of earning a Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering or Geological Engineering degree, with courses completed in geologic and/or geotechnical engineering, such as geology, soil mechanics, and foundation design
- Candidate must be currently enrolled in an accredited degree program and in rising junior or rising senior status
- Ability to work a minimum of 40 hours per week during the summer (typically May-August); we will work with candidates on a schedule with a flexible timeline of work period
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work in a team environment on various projects
- Excellent organizational skills and time management skills
- Strong attention to detail and ability to manage multiple tasks and projects
- EIT certification a plus, but not required
- Related coursework or previous internship in a related field a plus, but not required
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Assist project managers in coordinating field investigations, including scheduling drillers and applying for drilling permits
- Perform subsurface investigations, including directing drillers/subcontractors, observing drilling, and logging test borings and test pits
- Perform site visits to construction sites to observe and document geotechnical aspects of a project, possibly including deep foundation installation, spread footing or mat foundation subgrade preparation, site grading and fill placement, and temporary cut slopes and shoring
- Prepare observation reports summarizing geotechnical-related construction field activities
For confidential consideration, please submit a detailed resume with a cover letter to email@example.com. We encourage you to describe the type of work you want to do in your cover letter or correspondence.
All applicants must be U.S. citizens or authorized to work and reside in the U.S. No H-1 visa support will be provided.
All applicants must have valid driver’s license and have a good driving record.
Rockridge Geotechnical, Inc. is proud to be an equal employment workplace.
Job Type: Full-time (Temporary)